Sunday, August 24, 2008

Do I look like an undergraduate?

It's that time of year, again, in the lovely Boston, Massachusetts--the time when thousands of eager college students flock to the city for the fall semester. This fact became very apparent to me today when I visited the local Bed, Bath, and Beyond, fine purveyors of cheap shit made in China for Americans to cram into their homes (or dorm rooms). I was greeted at the door by a lady offering a map of the store (I declined, it's a small store). In the 30 minutes I spent buying 2 pillows, a new sheet set, a hand towel, 4 trouser hangers, and a Pyrex measuring cup, I encountered 6 sales people all making sure I was all set. I did appreciate the customer service, and the one thing I asked for they did not carry (I asked for screw-top Mason jars because I want to make iced coffee). It was still a good time, sorta nostalgic seeing college freshmen there buying stuff with their parents, etc.

2 comments:

Naomie said...

At least you didn't get followed around by security. And in answer to your question, yes you do. You need sideburns, or bushy eyebrows perhaps...

Local Spice said...

Next time I go there, I'll ask for the extra long twin size sheet, and talk about how I really want to focus on my music, but my parents insist I get a business degree...and talk about how I'm concerned about the environment while I'm shopping in a big box store, buying a PVC shower curtain, etc.