Thursday, August 14, 2008

I want my 10 cents!

I am a big fan of using reusable grocery bags. I love not having a cabinet full of wasteful plastic bags, and the majority of those which do make their way into my apartment do end up in the recycle bin. Not that I don't dispute the usefulness of plastic or a plastic bag--my garbage can is currently lined with one, thank the sweet Jesus. Plus plastic bags are still used by pet owners clean up after their adorable, spoiled little ones.

What gets at me sometimes is how I don't get the tiny 10 cent discount at the grocery store UNLESS I am using a fancy reusable shopping bag. It seems that I can't imply that my messenger bag is sufficient to carry groceries, AND it had been made abundantly clear that agreeing to carry my groceries (or even a single, simple item) by hand and not in a plastic bag does not constitute deserving a 10 cent bag discount. I just think the discount should apply to anyone who chooses not using another stupid plastic bag.

3 comments:

G Michael Guy said...

i agree about the plastic bags. you should know I'm not a big green kind of guy. I'm still mostly white, btw. but i think the reusable bags hold like 50,000x more groceries per bag than the disposable ones. that comes in very handy when you must carry every grocery home by hand. having 1 or 2 bags which hold an entire week's worth of groceries is fantastic! i was simply amazed at how much they hold the first time i used one. i guess the first time is always a bit unpredictable...

funny thing, i bought 5 reusable bags at whole foods for .99 each to pack my pantry in preparation for my recent move. i got a .50 discount because i put 4 of the bags inside of the 5th bag. now the cashier may have been over zealous with the -.10 button, but i didn't ask for it and didn't argue! next time i see you, I'll give you an extra dime to make up for next time you don't get your discount!

--GMG

Local Spice said...

Aw, Mike, you're a pal. You're always there with your spare change for me!

Naomie said...

They wouldn't give me a discount when I put all my groceries in a Christmas stocking last year either! Go figure!