Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Palestinian Scarf Situation


It's summer here in Boston, FINALLY, and this Southern Boy is enjoying not having to wear the coat/hat/scarf/etc combination very common when it's crazy-ass cold. I still see this fad holding on, like that aunt who wants an extra hug. For the love of sweet Jesus, please, Bostonians, abandon the Palestinian scarf fad. Don't me wrong, scarves are functional and keep you warm. Palestinians are great, wonderful people, and I recognize and appreciate the history and symbolism of a Keffiyeh. But it's August, it's hot, and I hate looking around and seeing everyone with fabric wrapped around their damn necks in this heat. Bless your hearts, I know you're all trying to make a fashion statement, but sometimes statements are best not made at all. Plus, you people are not Yasser Arafat.

And while I am at it, let's say that when it does become cold, let's all shop for scarves in places besides Urban Outfitters. Apply that to sunglasses and those pseudo-ironic and reproduction vintage t-shirts.

No comments: