Monday, January 12, 2009

"Auckland Street will be a nicer place to live and we will have one more reason to say why Dorchester is better than Southie!! Have a great 2009!"

For friends and foes unaware of the fabulousness of Boston, allow me to briefly clue you in onto the snow-shoveling-marking-your-place shenanigans very common within the area, most especially in South Boston (Southie), East Boston (Eastie), and as I've discovered Dorchester (yes, I'm not a native, for those native readers).

So it's fairly commonplace within these old-line neighborhoods in Boston that IF you shovel your car out of crazy-ass snow, that you EARN that space, it's yours...BUT, for HOW long? If you shovel it, then you mark it, and I've ALWAYS been entertained by what the locals find, somewhere and somehow, to mark their places. Before living in Dorchester I lived in Eastie, where I would find old television sets, among other applicances, marking spaces etched out of snow--and that's great, that's fine, I'm not judging, I'm just saying...it was a 20-year-old TV marking someone's space on the road in East Boston...right. The picture below is a former neighbor in Eastie who had marked their space with some sort of Public Works "slow" moving traffic sign.

This evening I found the following letter in my door here in the lovely Dorchester:


Let me walk you through the best parts:

"After you have worked hard and took a lot of time to clean out your parking spot of course you should be able to keep that parking spot for yourself for an appropriate amount of time. You have earned it."

"These offenders have shoveled out nothing because it has not even snowed yet. These spots belong to all of us on the street. We all pay taxes and they belong to the public."

My favorite section provides a measurement for when it is appropriate to claim a space for 4 days:
"Actually, Mayor Thomas Menino's rule is that one should not mark a parking spot for more than 24 hours; however, I think we can compromise and give ourselves 1 to 4 days (4 days only if it necessary. 4 days should only be allowed if the storm was 10 inches or more)."

Please see the picture for the whole letter, it's fabulous. I give credit to the letter's author for taking action against people who claim spaces for days and days after a snow storm, when it's quite obvious the sun is shining and the snow is melting, but still, there's a damn trash can in the street marking their spot. They are all lucky that I do not own a car, or else I wouldn't deliver a letter.

Here is an example of what they are talking about from Auckland Street in Dorchester:
As someone who does not own a car, I'm not hating either way. I do, however, get pissed when people can't seem to shovel their sidewalk, but that's for another post.

2 comments:

'Whalehead' King said...

I'm a bit farther down Sydney Street in the opposite direction than you are, but I always thank the people I pass who are shoveling their sidewalks. I try to be diligent about it in front of my apartment, since it's a pain in the neck to walk in the street, always looking over one's shoulder. On this end, the sidewalks aren't too bad. I walked Sydney this morning to the real estate office next to McKenna's and it was a wide, clear path most of the way. Hopefully things will the same for you after this next French Toast Alert has passed.

May we all have a great 2009. Why not? We live in Dorchester.

Local Spice said...

Oh that reminds me to make challah for french toast!

I'm a renter, too, and a fellow sidewalk shoveler. Does anyone know anything about the ominous building on the corner of Savin Hill and Auckland Street? I'm just saying they need to shovel their shit.

And I love Dorchester.