Sunday, January 11, 2009

Snow Day Sunday

It's Sunday and Boston received between 5 to 9 inches of snow. I estimate my street was on the high side of that range. So refusing to leave my apartment, I decided to cook. Finally putting to good use the fancy schmancy KitchenAid mixer I purchased after Christmas with my collected Macy's gift cards, I made what turned out to be a fabulous loaf of Irish Soda Bread using Ina Garten's recipe from Barefoot Contessa At Home.


I love my mixer!


The lovely thing about this recipe was it is yeast-free, so no waiting around for the dough to rise, etc. It's pretty sweet, too, and the recipe advises reduces by a tablespoon or so if one prefers the result to not be sweet, or too sweet. And the recipe calls for currants, but in the hellish frenzy that was yesterday at the supermarket (pre-snow storm) there weren't any at the Shaw's, and not a person around to direct to where to find them. So I subsituted dried cranberries, and it works very well.

4 comments:

darla said...

Yay for a Kitchen Aid mixer! I still remember how happy I was to get mine. What color did you get?

Local Spice said...

It's a matte gray, officially called "Imperial Grey" I believe. I like it, it rocks!

Naomie said...

Picture of the mixer please!

darla said...

Got up really early today and decided to start a loaf of this for breakfast. Thanks for pointing out the recipe.