Saturday, July 11, 2009

Urban Garden Update

Back in April I dared to plant, in containers, several of the following plants: 4 tomato plants, 6 pepper plants, 1 strawberry plant, 1 mint, 1 peppermint, and what has become a constant failure: basil. Basil hates me.

Despite the fact that Boston has been channeling Seattle (without the coffee or angst), my dainty plants have survived and have produced produce. I am pleased to present snappy pics from my own urban garden, beginning with my this season's 1st Local Spice Urban Garden tomato:



I suppose this stair is officially a 2nd means of egress, but it makes for a great place for my tomato plants to get sunlight. I don't have a south-facing location, so I've had to learn to play with angles and work the east/west light. So far my efforts have paid off, so far.


This is a red beefsteak plant. I thought it was going to die at first, and then I though it was dead, but no, it was really alive, and then it grew to over 5 feet tall, so far.


Mint! Yay! Mojitos! Anyone recommendations for what to do with the peppermint plant?




Peppers, specifically sweet green peppers, gypsy peppers, and red bell peppers. They're all taking their sweet time, but I have had some success so far. I had to pull them back onto my porch as they became popular with pesky slugs, etc..

1 comment:

Brain said...

My what a nice looking drink...

Yay, for the urban garden!