Monday, April 12, 2010

FYI, Boston, vinyl is not sustainable

I went to the down:2:earth Boston's Sustainable Living Expo yesterday afternoon--someone was handing out free tickets on Boylston Street in front of the Pru. So I went for it, and honestly it was an interesting, a small, conference expo, and I love walking through and seeing conference exhibits. Working in the field of housing development, and living in a world where everyone is drinking the "Green Building" cool-aid, peeping inside the exhibit hall was halfway work related--can I count it as overtime? So there were some interesting local groups, from local bicycle groups to small start-ups that will outfit your home with very cool gardens, etc. I can post links, don't worry. But there was, of course, the industry reps, from window manufacturers, bath and kitchen surface reps, and appliance reps.

My big beef right now is to say that vinyl, despite calling it "Virgin Vinyl," is not sustainable. I don't care what sort of energy rating those new vinyl windows gets, they are still vinyl, and it is still toxic in how its made (if you disagree go build your dream house NEXT to a chemical plant producing PVC, then call me and tell me to eat your ass), and most especially if your home is ever on fire, and then in 20 years when you want new ones, it means more vinyl in a landfill. Vinyl works for many because it's cheap, and they can spray it clean with their (vinyl?) garden hose, leading many to believe it's maintenance free. As someone who has replaced my far share of windows here on the job, I can say that vinyl windows are the cheapest replacement windows, and that you get what you pay for, so beware. And I'm not hating anyone for using them, but I do get quite annoyed when I go to a "Green" expo and find a room of industry schmucks pushing vinyl "renewal" crap to the crowd.

6 comments:

Nicholas said...

Hi there, I have a question for you about your Dorchester blog. My email is nick@citybeams.com. Thanks a lot,

Nick

Br1207yantScipio1 said...

君子立恆志,小人恆立志。.............................................

517SeritaG_Jamar0 said...

影音視訊聊天 台灣情色論壇 go2av免費影片卡通 666vl net 0951成人頻道下載 qq美美色網 ut13077視訊聊天 台灣kiss911 18成人免費a片 男人幫 成人網站-天天看美女 日本a卡漫 聊天室ut 5278免費影片 aa 片俱樂部 失敗論壇 影音交友mmshow tw av女優影片,aa片免費看影片 卡通aa片avdvd 美女交友thcmt vsbox色美媚入口 洪爺自拍走光貼圖 一對多視訊,美女短片免費試看 0204成人 視訊交友fireup 台灣kiss情色貼圖區 彩虹AV影音視訊聊天室 性愛日記 ez sex貼片區 aaa片免費看影片 aio小魔女自拍qk 免費試看成人片 g8mm視訊網 色妹妹a漫18 禁 免費視訊聊天 173 線上 aa 片試看嘟嘟 火辣視訊情人 av080下載 aa免費看影片 網愛 正妹百人斬飯島愛 情色sex520 ss369成人色網 免費a片線上看,卡通aa片免費看 aa的滿18歲影片 視訊-愛情館 八國聯軍成人 高雄視訊sexy girl34c 成人自拍色情avdvd 線上aa片試看嘟嘟

NealVa憲妤 said...

做愛 淫慾 s18x愛 寫真 77p2p 辣妹 淫婦 av 美女 美女聊天室 後宮聊天 打手槍 視訊 18禁視訊 貼圖 xPlus.av 援交打炮 女優 live173 173 85免費 uthome聊天室 一夜情 xvideo 免費視訊 情色聊天 交友聊天 影音視訊聊天室 情人視訊 a片

健豪 said...

這麼優的部落格一定要持續下去!........................................

ALC said...

Completely Agree. It is also extremely ugly and destroys many the gorgeous house details.